Just in case people think that when I go out to the wilderness by myself, I am finding peace and one-ness with nature, I would like to set the record straight by offering this glimpse into my backpacking journal. In the words of Jackson Pollock, “I AM Nature.”
1. Cut off your arm at the shoulder.
2. Live on the streets for a year.
3. Kill someone while drunk driving or texting.
4. Give away all of your money.
5. Eat a piece of feces.
6. Turn a trick.
7. Get addicted to crack, heroin or just alcohol.
8. Do a sex act with an animal.
9. Binge and purge.
10. Attempt suicide and live.
“Nature absorbed her while civilization with its reflective surfaces repelled her back upon herself.”